I've been drinking matcha every morning for about 3 months now. I swear it's completely changed how I feel in the mornings and I don't feel right if I don't start off my day with it (I'm guessing this is how people feel about coffee lol). I had heard about/seen it a lot before trying it - it's definitely "trendy" and the saying "I love you so matcha" accompanied many of the pictures with the bright green drink. One of my friends completely transformed her diet to healthier alternatives and talked SO highly of matcha.
After researching all of the benefits (listed below!!) I was sold on trying it out. I've NEVER been a coffee drinker. It's not that I don't like the taste, but my body literally can't tolerate it. I feel miserable whenever I drink it, which really bummed me out because I felt like I really needed some sort of kick in the mornings since having Nixon. I was so excited to find out that Matcha has a better caffeine high. By “better” I mean that coffee’s caffeine high wreaks more havoc on the body. Coffee causes spikes in adrenaline glucose and insulin levels, which in turn create jitteriness and nervousness (I almost always had a panic attack every time I drank coffee)!! Matcha caffeine levels actually can have be the equivalent of half a cup of black coffee... sans the negative side effects.
That fact is obviously a huge part of my Matcha obsession.
Here are some others:
- One word - ANTIOXIDANTS.. like suuuper high in antioxidants. It is especially high in epigallocatechin gallate (EGCg). Out of all the antioxidants, EGCg is the most widely recognized for its cancer fighting properties. Scientists have found that Matcha Green Tea contains over 100 times more EGCg than any other tea on the market!!!
- Better breath/teeth + better skin. Obviously coffee is hard on the enamel, we all know that. And Matcha and actually help clear up acne, and has been used for centuries by Japanese women as a facial mask.
- Weight loss. Drinking Matcha Green Tea has also been shown to increase metabolism and help the body burn fat about four times faster than average. Again, unlike many diet aides currently on the market, Matcha causes no negative side-effects such as increased heart rate and high blood pressure. I've lost close to 20lbs since the end of December. I know Matcha has helped A TON with getting extra baby weight off.
- Energy + alertness.
- Easy to make!!! I simply boil water, add the matcha, add coconut milk or almond milk, and a little bit of honey. I mean there's obviously tons of good recipes but I just like mine easy and simple.
- Detoxifies the body. Matcha is capable of naturally removing heavy metals and chemical toxins from the body. All in all, it's just GOOD for you.
Thanks for reading :) leave your favorite MATCHA GREEN TEA recipe in the comments! xo